Re: [LUG] Exeter College - Course modules

It's very easy to teach in a generic way, even using a Windows / MS
Office based system that's standard fare in most schools. Foe example
Widows comes equipped with 'Wordpad', 'Notepad' and the DOS based
'Edit' as standard utilities.  Add this to MS-Word and you've got a
spread of four text-processing applications to compare and contrast.
...five if you count the original DOS based 'Edlin' programme!

What I do is get students to compare and contrast the menu structure
and common functionality of all these programmes. To any students who
later come across Linux what they quickly realise is that the way
this works is basically the same, and their generic skills are
eminently transferable.

Trouble is many schools simply ditch or deny access to all of these
text-processing applications except the full version 'MS-Word', which
is a confusing nightmare for a new or timid user.

David Bowles
Education Support / TeacherLab