Re: [LUG] Linux, Education & DCLUG

> As a new school year starts I have been pontificating about linux education
> and d&clug:
>
> I have noticed that we dont have anything in our (d&clug) web site mission
> statement that specifically says anything about supporting educational
> establishments in their efforts to convert / migrate / integrate linux into
> their IT infrastructure. Do fellow members think we should revise the
> mission statement, and in the light of such revisions would we as a group be
> prepared to take a more active roll in promoting and supporting linux in
> education, or have I got my idealists hat on again ?

Reading the mission statement, I think it's the same one from when the DC LUG
was set up nearly 4 years ago!  The mission statement, it's a very broad and
simple statement covering Linux in all shapes and sizes. (IMHO)  And also KISS
I think applies here.

> Are we willing to form an "education task force" of volunteers, to support
> schools within D&C Lugs boundaries ?
> And / Or consolidate expertise with other LUGS in a cross lug group ?
> Do we consider schools to be a legitimate "target" for canvassing ?

Hmm, I'm on a few LUG lists since I'm no longer live in D&C, the Bristol one
feels totally different to this one, and the Gloucheshire one is still quite a
young LUG. (And I just lurk on those lists as well!)

As far as schools are concerned in Cornwall are they not covered by Cornwall
County Council's IT department? - there is a lot of red tape to cut thru there.

Pete Hatton