Re: [LUG] SUSE 8,2 and Nvidia installer. HELP

Just YOU'd an athlon kernel security update and lost
the Nvidia 3D driver in the process.

No problem I foolishly thought but as usual I'm in need of
help from you guys.

I downloaded the NVIDIA_Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run
file from the Nvidia site, shutdown X, did init 3 and executed
the driver file with the sh command. And promptly got a
'No precompiled kernel interface' error with an offer to
attempt to obtain one from the Nvidia site.

As Kinternet drops any internet connection when X is
shut down the Nvidia installer attempts to contruct a kernel
interface all by itself. But again the attempt fails with 'kernel
header file usr/src/linux/include/linux/kernel.h does not exist'.

Reading the Nvidia-HOWTO suggests the following before
executing the nvidia-installer:
 cp /boot/vmlinuz.config     /usr/src/linux/.config
 cp /boot/vmlinuz.version.h  /usr/src/linux/include/linux
 cp /boot/vmlinuz.autoconf.h /usr/src/linux/include/linux
 cd /usr/src/linux
 make cloneconfig dep

But this also fails at the 'make cloneconfig dep' with a 'no
target' error. And note no mention of a kernel.h file.

What do you guys think? Am I missing the athlon sources
and if so how do I get hold of them? Or do I need to keep
a internet connection going when I shut down X. And if
so how do I go about establishing an internet  connection
from the command line?

The Nvidia people seem to think using an installer will make
things easier for the user but it hasn't done so for me!

NB the Nvidia drivers have been withdrawn from the SuSE
site for legal reasons (whatever that means).

Keith
--
SuSE 8.2 on ECS K7S5A/XP with 1.2GHz Athlon, 384MB RAM, Maxtor 20GB HD and
using KDE's Kmail