Re: [LUG] 2 questions

Brian wrote:
> Hi I know this might offend, but Windows XP has a useful 'Hibernate'
> facility, so that the next boot up takes you back to where you closed
> down, all apps still in memory.  I am afraid I don't know Linux well
> enough to advice that this is available...

My laptop does this under Linux or Windows.

X Windows managers preserve session, but state is lost, it basically
just restarts the apps you want, or the apps you had open on logout. I
use to use this on HP-UX to start my Mail client, and software
development tools on login, but then I was an organised type with one in
one workspace, and the other in another.

Probably all the OP needs.

> Tonsern Wilhelm wrote:
> | sorry for my poor English
> |
> | 1.Q: Is there a (logical) difference between "Netscape"(MS) and
> | "Mozilla"(Linux) ?
>
> Yes... entirly different code base, one is open source the other is a
> pile of.. M$ code...

I thought all Netscape 6 variants were Mozilla derived. Certainly
Mozilla runs on Windows, so I can't imagine Netscape rewriting it for
the fun of it.

Logical difference - yes Netscape bundle some extra non-free software,
like spell checking, but Mozilla has ispell based plugins for that as
free software, I think in some cases it is because Netscape don't own
the bundled components, but have to pay a third party licence.

It is quite common in the proprietary software world to have weird
licencing arrangement like that, these licence wrangles are why free
software develops quicker. All that arguing over who owns what takes
time and money away from writing software, look at SCO and IBM.

> | 2.Q: Is it possible (Linux) to accelerate the start of a big application
> | like Mozilla or OpenOffice?
> | In other words: I'm looking for a pre-load issue: the application
> | has to be (pre-) loaded at boot time in order to stand-by waiting &
> | watching for my click on the launcher ...
>
> I usually just leave one instance of whatever application i need
running...

> I do not know of any "pre-loaders" but i would be interested in one if
> anyone knows of one...

Mozilla uses lazy loading, so even starting it will only start the
minimal amount. Open Office now has a little tooltray thingy, but again
I suggest you setup your session so it starts on login if you have the
memory to spare. You might then want to bypass login depending on your
impatience ;-)

Me I lock the screen with xlock, and switch off the LCD, reboots takes
too much of your life.

I bet someone has done a groovy hibernate, but the old Windows boot use
to alter the state of devices such as the laptop finger pad, so a
straight restore of memory without preserving the status of devices
won't work reliably under any OS I suspect, depending on your hardware,
so I suspect the latop is doing some of this in hardware to keep the
devices on "life support".