Re: [LUG] problems

On Thursday 07 August 2003 8:23 am, Paul Sutton wrote:

> This worked fine in 8.1,
>
> I tired to run the nvidia .run file from
> init 1 but that came up with various errors,  but that should be
> fixilble something to do with kernel headers so I assume i need the
> kernel source and libraries installedl

As I have mentioned before on the list, I don't have an nvidious (sic)
card so don't know the installation details, but it sounds to me like it
might be a good idea to tackle this problem first.  Get yast up in text
mode and install kernel sources (and NVIDIA-kernel?) and try again.

All that sax2 does in the end is to write /etc/X11/XF86config.  If you
still have this file from your - working - 8.1 install you could try
using it.

> failes,as it says it can't find the monitor,  jd144l, from this I think
> it's a JEAN, monitor as that has the jd prefix on the numbers,  mine is
> not listed, where it got the jd0090 (or whatever) from i don't know.

I googled for this - without a great deal of luck - not exactly a common
make.  If you have an manual for the monitor it should give you the range
of horizontal and vertical refresh rates the monitor can handle.  These
can be written into XF86Config using SAX or a text editor.

<yorkshiremen sketch>
Back in my day we didn't have nice tools like sax.  XF86config was just
about the first configuration file I learned to edit - and if you got it
working before 3am - you were lucky :-)
</yorkshiremen sketch>

aother idea
try sax2 -l (the l option starts sax in lowest resolution and disables
probing)

Tony