Re: [LUG] Mounting floppies//cds etc

Heres my /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda2            /                    reiserfs   defaults              1 1
/dev/hda1            swap                 swap       pri=42                0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
usbdevfs             /proc/bus/usb        usbdevfs   noauto                0 0
/dev/cdrecorder      /media/cdrecorder    auto       ro,noauto,user,exec   0 0
/dev/cdrom           /media/cdrom         auto       ro,noauto,user,exec   0 0
/dev/dvd             /media/dvd           auto       ro,noauto,user,exec   0 0
/dev/fd0             /media/floppy        auto       noauto,user,sync      0 0

To my eyes it doesn't look significantly different from Neil's
suggestions. But I'm open to being proved wrong.

At Clive's suggestion I checked the perms for the relevant
devices and using ls -l as root found the following:

brw-------	root disk		/dev/fd0
lrwxrwxrwx	root root 	/dev/dvd -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx	root root		/dev/cdrecorder -> sr0
and
brw-------	root disk		/dev/hdc
brw-------	root disk		/dev/sr0

As root I've tried adding the 2 users on the system to the
"disk" group and changing the device perms to 660. But
on user login the perms have reverted to their fromer state.
I suspect this is due to the links /dev/dvd -> hdc and
/dev/ cdrecorder -> sr0 but I'm out of my depth here.

My original notion that KDE in my account might be at fault
was prompted by the fact that I have problems with all
3 drives whereas my wife's account does not. My supposition
was that KDE was comunicating with the devices via some
file in my home directory which wasn't functioning as it should.
Is this a possibility?

And no bash shells are accessing a directory on any of the
devices unless of course (God forbid) I have an invisible
rogue user accessing my account. Just in case I've sent
this mail from my wife's trouble free account.

By way of a PS I've just gone through my pile of floppies
and found that sometimes a disk will mount and at other
times it wont. If I have a dodgy floppy drive would that have
an effect on the other drives? I wouldn't explain why my wife
hasn't had any problems but perhaps she's just been lucky.

Keith

On Friday 20 June 2003 6:38 pm, Neil Williams wrote:

--
SuSE 8.2 on ECS K7S5A/XP with 1.2GHz Athlon, 384MB RAM, Maxtor 20GB HD and
using KDE's Kmail