[LUG] CSS and search engines

Dear All

Not strictly Linux, can you help though? I am currently learning to
create web pages with style sheets etc... but...

How do I create a rule that will tell search engines what my site is all
about? Do I do this in the style sheet or in the <head> of my web page?
What is the command? I have heard it is meta... something or other? Can
folks send me examples?

Of course once I have mastered this my next set of questions will be
about web servers. i.e. If I build a web server does it need to be
always on?

Thanks

Rich