[LUG] Mandrake winmodem woes

OK . . . so I've been finding it increasingly
difficult to install new software because the ibraries
are more and more out of date on Redhat 8.2.

No problem, just means time for an upgrade doesn't it?
So I've been thinking about it for a while and finally
settled on Mandrake 9.1 - good reviews, all the
software that I use, etc.

Anyway, the installation seemed to go fine, logging in
no problem Gnome and Kde came up, etc. So I copied the
modem driver over from the windows partition and
installed it no problem.

Everything seemed to be going really well so I opened
up a terminal window and confidently typed "kppp &"  .
. . "bad command or filename"

WTF !!

Is kppp supposed to be missing from Kde 3.1? If so how
the f^H^H^H^H^H am I supposed to log on to my isp?
There seems to be some "auto-configuration" system for
network connections but the first question is 'what
kind of modem are you using' and if you answer
"winmodem" that's it "Your modem type is not
supported" . . . very helpful!

Never had a problem like this with redhat, I just
installed the modem driver and used kppp to set up my
account details . . . it's so easy!

Anybody else had a similar problem?

best regards,

Mark