Re: [LUG] Debian

On Friday 09 May 2003 7:33 pm, jon wrote:

> Well it's not the same card (it's a CNet CNF401), but it's a similar
> problem.  Trouble is, seeing as it Just Worked with Mandrake 9.1,
> it's tempting not to spend lots of time trying to get it to work on
> Debian!

Hmm - not sure about the wisdom of that one. I've had problems with a PCMCIA
adaptor for compact flash cards. RedHat 7 loved it. Even setup a desktop icon
and auto-mounted it. Mandrake 8 worked a bit. Mandrake 9.0 hated it - refused
to 'attach to parent node, error 17'. Uhh? Yoper - works fine. I'm waiting to
try Mandrake 9.1 to see if I can at least go back to the usable config I had
under Mandrake 8. The problem lies deep within the DevFS daemon and, to me at
least, that beast is even more intimidating than the kernel! At least if I
was to try re-compiling the kernel I could keep the old one intact until I
got it working. If I start messing with Dev, I am likely to end up having to
reinstall just to get access to /dev/hda !!

--

Neil Williams

http://www.wewantbroadband.co.uk/