Re: [LUG] Comments on Opensource solution providers

On Thursday 01 May 2003 13:40, you wrote:

> The website needs some work. I see you've probably done it
> under Windows.

It isn't bad.  Fit for purpose, except some of the spelling and
needs a bit more adding to it.

> I was thinking it would be a good idea to draw up a some sort
> of code of conduct for Linux solution providers.

Good idea.

> The main problem with software solution providers is that they
> try lock the customer into their solution. With opensource
> based solutions this can be different, but it needs a little
> work still on documentation standards.

> Anyway a code of conduct of some sort laying down some
> guidelines for such practises would be something at least I
> would like to see. Anyone heard or seen of one already?

> This 'code of conduct' (better name required) basically would
> allow competition. Those who see this as a bad thing are in
> trouble. This is what capitalism is about, and it should be
> promoted, and I am sure customers will also see this as an
> attractive quality.

Accountants and doctors, and I expect other professions, have
rules about passing on the client's records, and documenting in
such a way that it is reasonable for them to move from one
member o the profession to another.

If software and support providers want to be engineers, then
this would be a very good thing to add.

If it hasn't been enunciated/done before, then it might actually
make a nice story for Newsforge/Slashdot etc.

--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/