[LUG] Mandrake 9.1 installation comment

Installed Mandrake 9.1 yesterday. For some reason the default kernel is
compiled with the option "CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD" enabled.
I.E. there is a kernel option to boot "off motherboard IDE controllers"
first. If you have a disk on a promise ultra 100tx ide controller appearing
as /dev/hde under Debian or Redhat (as I do) it will appear under the
Mandrake install kernel as /dev/hda...........similarly, /dev/hda becomes
/dev/hde. Confusing or Wot?

While agreeing that this kernel option would possibly be useful in some
circumstances, enabling it by default on an install kernel must be asking for
trouble, especially from thos new to Linux.

I recompiled the kernel with the option disabled, edited /etc/fstab and
/boot/grub/menu.lst and the drive order is now harmonious across redhat
debian and mandrake.....

--
Phil Vossler
Electronics Workshop