Re: [LUG] (slightly OT) Sat. and wireless broadband

On Thursday 24 Apr 2003 17:39, Kai Hendry wrote:
> Satellite is too costly. Unless you also can afford an ISDN line for the
> uplink?

I'm not sure. I thought this, but have been looking around a bit and found a
few places that seem to be offering almost feasable pricing structures.
Although I haven't looked into it enough yet to be sure.

> Wireless. 802.11b is unsuitable. I tested it around my little village in
> the holidays, and its impressive but its range isn't so good through
> Cornish hedges.

I imagine this is what a lot of these community projects are based upon...
although a few seem to be mentioning some form of radio signals that have
completely baffled me (I've sent off emails asking for more info, so I'll
post it here when I find out).

> I think you have two choices. Move, or wait. There are good things to
> wait for too, like:
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/04/13/2333239&mode=thread&tid=193

yeah... fortunatly I'm moving to Bristol towards the end of the year, but I've
already been 6 months without broadband and it's starting to get to me. It's
really not right going from having really nice ADSL to only have a 56k :o/

> If you have a good config with the 56k. Fetchmail, browser with images
> switched off and what have you, it isn't so bad... Ok, I lie, it sucks.

Browsings not to bad really. I can live with a modem for normal stuff, the
main problem is that I download a lot (especially as I use Gentoo - have you
ever tried installing Gentoo, complete with KDE across a 56k? It's a bit of a
mission!) and having to leave anything >20m on an overnight wget is just
painful really.

I'm lucky to have a rock solid dial-up in demon, so I _can_ download ISO's and
stuff, it just takes a while.

> But I shouldn't boast about my connection here... hehe. (I chose to
> move)

And so shall I asap!

Dan

--

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"

	-- Salvor Hardin