Re: [LUG] Red Hat 8.0 GNOME logout & switching

On Wednesday 16 April 2003 6:50 pm, Darke, Clive wrote:
> Has anyone else had the following console probs?

Similar problems but not down to the console - down to the X server
configuration. It was on a laptop when I had to run XFree v3.xx. I couldn't
use Alt-F1 etc. until recently and only now with Mandrake9 is it sorted. I
believe it is to do with the X server not releasing the framebuffer - my
problems were characterised by never being able to see the shutdown/reboot
screen. All I ever had (until Mandrake 9) was the background screen to the
login box. During sessions, I'd also be unable to get to Alt-F1->6.

> Sometimes, when I logout from GNOME, the machine hangs, and a reboot is
> required.  On Compaq, the keyboard lights flash.

Sign of a warm reboot.

> This is intermittent, and across an number of (similar) machines.
> May be connected with this, switching to a character session
> (ALT-F1/F2/etc) from a GNOME session will kill the GNOME session, switch to
> character, then switch back to the GNOME login.  If the GNOME session is
> not signed on, or we already have a character session signed on, we don't
> get the problem.
>
> RH 7.2 was OK on this h/w.  9.0 does not give the first problem, but still
> sometimes gives the second.

7.2 was using a much older X server and the improvements in 9 have solved part
of your problem. You could install a newer version of X (not for the
faint-hearted as X configuration is often best left to an install program) or
try Mandrake9 or Yoper - both use newer releases of X. Yoper may be useful in
that it doesn't shy away from non-GPL X drivers like nVidia so it may find a
driver that matches your hardware more precisely.

--

Neil Williams

http://www.wewantbroadband.co.uk/