Re: [LUG] Collapsing bracket editors

On Thursday 10 April 2003 6:48 pm, TREVATXTAL@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello Folks
> this is addressed to the group as so many of you do the same.
> I may be forced to leave the group the reason?

Could I ask that you don't post HTML email? It is easy to configure all email
clients to use plain text for certain email addresses and it would be
appreciated if you would adjust your settings for the list address.

> The folk that stick signatures on their E-mail, some are faulty and cause
> virus alerts, some have the same name so cause file clashes, and some are
> just empty files that clog up the system, if you cannot get it right don't
> use it.

View the source of the message and you will find that there is only text and
no hidden code or virii. I have been verifying all GnuPG/PGP signatures on
the list for about 2 years and every single one, without exception, has been
a legitimate and accurate signature. There have been no faulty signatures
only one, maybe two, which verified as bad but that still means that the
signature was readable and passed the integrity test before verification of
the key itself failed - usually because someone quoted the signed message in
their own reply.

> You do not give Linux a good face by being so Geek.
> And before you jump it is not just on AOL, I tried to access the archives
> via my own server in Linux and the results are the same.

Specifics please. I regularly browse the archive using all Linux browsers and
using any one of 6 different distros and version and I have never once
experienced the problems you describe. You should expect any browser to raise
a dialog box asking you what you want to do with the .pgp file if you click
on the link - that in itself is NOT a virus alert. It simply means that the
browser doesn't know how to handle the file. Some may expect it to verify it,
some may expect to just read it. It's up to you to configure the helper
section in your browser if you don't want to see the dialog. Each .pgp file
is simple text (as are all GnuPG/PGP signatures whether inline or S/MIME) and
there is NO virus risk to opening any .pgp file on the current DCLUG archive.

I have logged into the dclug website server and I can assure everyone that
there is not a single file in the archive less than 189bytes - the average
length of the pgp signature files. There are no empty files on the current
archive. There are also no files with the same name (impossible in the same
directory) and every single pgp file in the current archive is a VALID
GnuPG/PGP digital signature - I've verified them myself. The smallest html
file is 3153bytes :  Mar  6 11:50 msg00354.html - when someone used the dclug
website as a test for their system (please don't do that! it's quite
irritating!!) (I'm not innocent of that but I have learnt not to do it
anymore!)
http://www.dclug.org.uk/archive/msg00354.html

> To the rest of you folk I have enjoyed your input over the last year or to,
> but if the problem continues I will sadly leave you.

I hope not because you may be acting on a misunderstanding.

--

Neil Williams

http://www.wewantbroadband.co.uk/