Re: [LUG] Do other LUG Members find X a pain to configure ?

On Thursday 10 April 2003 06:36, you wrote:
> Desktop systems are about accessability and
> ease of use for end users, and GUI's (mostly) are for end
> users.  If a GUI cannot be configured by an end user, who's
> fault is that?

To a large extent in at least on of the commonly used GUIs, the
design is intended to allow companies to control what their
workers can do and the way in whcih thye are allowed to do it.

One element of the design, and you cna regard it as pernicious
or as good business, is to secure everyone's interest along a
channel - so the IT dept has people whose job is assured since
the end-user has been prevented from adjusting things themselves.

In private life, which the interface I have in mind is not
designed for, and in professional and academic life where
smarter than average people are doing more variable things in
ways that in at least some cases have never been thought of
before, things are different and end-user configurability may be
a design goal, but at least int eh latter area the people
involved are by definition better able to and expected to get it
sorted.  but of course there they are a better area for
freedom-loving and freedom-invoking software to be deployed.

--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/