Re: [LUG] CD-CD copy

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 12:10:48 +0000, Jonathan Melhuish
<lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Thanks, you were exactly right, so for the record, this is how to do it:
>
>** Idiot's guide to getting your CD-Rom drive recognised by your CD writing
>software (by an idiot, for idiots) **

[ snip ]
I followed your advise and the following -
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html
(is there a HOWTO that is more up-to-date ?)

as i tried to get my dvd/cd-rw to work with xcdroast, as a first step
to trying to get the cd-rw drive I have hanging of the USB bus working

(this is with debian woody)

I know the drive  works, as I was using to blank a cd-rw disk
when my previous motherboard crashed, trashing the filesystem !

cdrecord -scanbus shows the drive

but using it to write gives the following

Script started on Sat Mar 29 18:11:12 2003
cdrecord -v speed=2 dev=0,0,0 -data ipcop-1-2.iso
Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg
Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using
setpriority().
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
cdrecord: Operation not permitted. shmctl failed to lock shared memory
segment
david@xxxxxx: Script done on Sat Mar 29 18:13:02 2003

This is with a stock 2.4.20 kernel.

Any ideas ?

best regards
Dave Morgan
--
http://www.eclipse.co.uk/morgad/index.html      gpg:0x64B5E037
fingerprint:AD3B 81F6 63A3 C921 D5AA  D1BD 83D0 9548 64B5 E037