Re: [LUG] Local PHP-Nuke Advocacy

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 09:58, you wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 09:48:21 -0000, Brough, Tom wrote:
> > We are in the midst of our formal tendering process for a
> > Web Content Management System. We have a short list of
> > candidates including PHP-Nuke. Since there is no "formal"
> > company behind the product we would like to hear from
> > anybody who feels qualified to advocate PHP-Nuke. The
> > advocate ideally would have some business / consultancy or
> > heavy end user involvement with the product and be willing
> > to advocate free of charge.

Pay the authors to fly over and demonstrate.  That would be the
best advocacy available.

Failing that, I'd expect what you really need is local support -
say based within 4 hours.

> Free of charge consulting. For free of charge software?
> Not really fair.

Always worth trying for.

On the one hand it is standard business practice to ask and
expect vendors to go anywhere and pitch their product - it leads
to salesmen, to selling beofre writing and to inflation in the
price of th eproduct, and also to the mindset that sees value in
a program as an object, rather than value existing only in the
services attached to the later use of that software.

OTOH it is far from unknown to see firms paying for
experimental/demonstration implementations as part of their
research.

If you pay someone to demonstrate and guide your evaluation then
they have a duty to uyou to do that.

If you make them take it as cost up front to be recouped from
the eventual percentage of sales, then their duty is to their
own company or self, and they will be tempted to skew th
eevaluation by any means possible.

Business practices may need to bend a bit to get the best
results.

--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/