Re: [LUG] Broadband for Totnes

This would depend on what you allow through your firewall,

For example:  (from my snort server.)
02/25-13:27:59.413485 ARP who-has 80.192.118.167 tell 80.192.118.129

02/25-13:27:59.522917 ARP who-has 172.31.134.149 tell 172.31.134.1

02/25-13:27:59.605702 ARP who-has 80.235.134.11 tell 80.235.134.1

ARP request should be all the time, this only verify you on the DHCP network
or ADSL is providing. Address resolution.  ( 32 bits per packet if I'm right,
tell me is I'm wrong.)
Windows NT has some dire faults with it's TCPIP stack.
1. If netbios is enabled, with no firewall between tou and the www, this will
broadcast. ( it's advised to disable netbios and netbeui if you are not using
them.) good old NT/2000 - if so products LoPhTcrack to hack password files.
2. POP3 will only connect on requests by example: 25 - 110 depending on your
config file to mail delivery and sending.
3. IMCP checks - that no ones is pinging your machine.  (deny ICMP packets)
4. NT - disable the messenger service- easy to write a script to send
messengers to your NT box.  Microsoft as many os'es say disable services that
are not required for your day to day service.
5. Linux - ipTables - very configurable to set a firewall up. or use SuSE 8.1
firewall very easy.
6. Check that you not running IIS if so check services - NNTP & HTTP and SMTP
are started by default. lovely hacking idea there.

Alex if you are recieving and sending large amounts of traffic setup a snort
server, only problem here is that you need 2 NIC's private & public configure
snort to monitor the public card.

Alex - try a ipconfig/all for network card info this may help you.

Cheers

David