Re: [LUG] ISDN was: Poorly penguins

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 07:22:44PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 Feb 2003 8:29 am, Ray Smith wrote:
> > The rental price includes 2 analogue line plus the isdn which can be
> > connected at 64 or 128k.
> >
> > if connected at 128k (bonded) you are in effect making 2 calls at the same
> > time but cannot make a voice call.
>
> Finally, am I right to think that to make a 128k bonded call, I need to
> physically connect a cable to the port or can it be done in software? (Hoping
> against hope here, you understand - the router is likely to be positioned
> downstairs - literally in the understairs cabinet - and isn't likely to be
> particularly accessible.)

With a router you need to configure the router to do this.
The details vary with each router.

> One ISDN ISP site talked about making sure that ISDN users knew how to
> terminate a call - how'd that work with a router?

Typically a router would support dial on demand, but
you need to be careful exactly what traffic is being
sent to it. Also likely to be some control interface,
either through the LAN interface or possibly a serial
port.

> > If the isdn service goes down then the analogue pstn1 can usually still be
> > used but pstn2 is still digital and needs power to work.
>
> I'll be keeping one 0845 modem account just in case.
>
> Incidentally, my line service has been a LOT better since I reported the fault
> and better still since the engineer arrived. (Not that he did anything to the
> line itself.) So the secret is: report a fault - you never know how it might
> suddenly improve the service.  (Famous Last Words, I know.)

Just because he did nothing dosn't mean that BT havn't
checked in any cabs.