Re: [LUG] Firewall Rules

On Sat, 8 Feb 2003, kevin bailey wrote:

> out of curiosity - why don't you set the default policy for the INPUT
> chain to DROP?  This is surely a bit neater than having the final DROP
> line in the 'block' chain,

Depends.

If you have local access then yes.  If you don't - like for instance
with a remotely-hosted webserver - you want to be able to ssh in if
it ever gets into a state of having bombed out halfway through your
firewall script.  Think worst-case.

(for that reason, although I have a fixed IP, I permit ssh from anywhere
on the webserver.  I don't want to risk locking myself out by accident).

--
Nick Kew