Re: [LUG] Web Server

Neil Williams wrote:
> On Monday 03 Feb 2003 10:23 pm, Simon Waters wrote:
>
>>Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:
>>
>>>C# itself is a very nice language
>>
>>But Theo you hate Java I thought, so what is it about C# that
>>makes you say it is "nice"?
>

> C# as Java without the virtual machine overhead? To get a
compiled executable
> app to run on Linux and Windows is always going to need a
re-compile, but
> that (IMHO) is better than trying to emulate that
re-compilation each time
> the program runs by using another level of translation at
run-time like the
> VM.

So how exactly do you think C# gets to be portable, Neil ? Or
are you advocating against Java, C#, Perl and Python, and byte
code in general?

I don't think there is much difference between C# and Java in
terms of run time overhead, sure Java without JIT compilation
might be slower than similar code in C#, but who needs to run
Java without a JIT (well probably the kind of people who don't
have a C# port yet, so it isn't really a choice for them).

The only substantive difference seems to be with regard to
integrating with other languages, and the lack of security
features for mobile code in C#.

So any "advantage" would seem to have to come from the different
binding into COM and other languages.

Maybe it is a perspective thing, most of the Java stuff was
client side, so integration with other components was important
but not huge. We used a bridge tool for the Microsoft components
so the gluing step was trivial as the tool utilise JNI to do
marshalling. Basically a case of "give me this bean as a
Microsoft object please". Server side integration was mostly
straight into a database - JDBC.

Sure easier integration in a language will be welcomed, but
there are specific issues that are not easily overcome, such as
typing issues with databases. JDBC lays down how Java standard
tyes (integer) etc map to databases, where you integrate
different languages with different primitive types to the same
persistent store there will always be issues.

Besides in most cases attempts to "go native" walk straight into
portability issues, so easier integration might help, but I need
convincing.