Re: [LUG] Network hubs

Neil Williams wrote:

Just a quick query:

I currently have one hub connecting three machines. If I connect a second hub to the first hub, do I need a different cable or do I switch on the 'Uplink' button on the hub (and which hub)?

1->Hub1
2->Hub1->Hub2->4
3->Hub1

Will that just work?

Yes. AFAIK, the cable from hub1 to hub2 should go into hub 2's uplink (if it has one). Not sure what you mean by uplink button as the hubs I have used just have 2 sockets for port 8, one with a crossover for uplink. New hubs have some sort of autodetect which means they can work out if it is uplink or a normal connection.

Time for some ASCII art.

Hub1

| | | |
PC1 PC2 PC3 | (uplink port)