Re: [LUG] RHL 7.3 problem

psutton wrote:

Hi

I was chatting to a guy on yahoo the other day,  he wants to set up rhl 7.3
so a user cannot change the root password, or shutdown the computer,  I was
under the impression that normal users can't change the root password
anyway,  but the second point they can as in the old linuxconf program
somewhere there is a setting to say what users can do.

He was on about using sudo,  which I looked up to be a more useful version
of su,  (sounds like something I should look into myself at some point).

any ideas.

Linuxconf allows a non-root user to change the root password?!?!
I hope that isn't true, but if it is, better make sure Linuxconf is upgraded (I don't like it anyway, if he wants a config tool, try Webmin).

As for rebooting/shutting down, that should be a case of just checking the permissions of "reboot" and "shutdown" so that only root can execute - I suspect they're in /sbin/.
Unless he's talking about the option on the KDE Login Manager, in which case there is an option in the KDE control centre.

Don't know anything about sudo, check out the man page.

David.

--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five.