[LUG] Re: Mandrake 9 and Knoppixx

On Friday 06 December 2002 8:18 am, keith lawford wrote:
(to the webmaster at dclug: )
Dear Sir

Nice but not necessary, 'Neil' will do. 'Oi, LUG' will work too.

I am interested in buying a copy of Mandrake 9 and also possibly Knoppixx,
what do I do and who do I send the cheque to.

Yours sincerly

Keith Lawford

OK, DCLUG is a support group for Linux users, new and old. We don't endorse
or supply any particular distribution of Linux - there have already been very
inflamed arguments over each one over the years and the simple solution is:
each to his own. There's a consensus (just about) that Mandrake is probably
the easiest for new users to get to grips with, without crippling the
resulting system.

I am thinking of changing from Suse 8 to Mandrake (, however in the past I

There's no watertight reason to do that, you won't find an enormous
difference in the two, except in the configuration tools provided. Once
configured, you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference. Mandrake is easier
to configure though, I think. (But that's just me, I haven't used SuSE much.)

have tried Mandrake, I think it was 8 but I lost the ability to boot into
my Windows partition. Mandrake would load but Windows would not. I presume
this was to do with the bootloader.

Correct.
http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_doc/tips.html
In most cases it would be called LILO but in common with all things Linux,
there's always a choice and some members are very favourable about Grub, an
alternative bootloader to Lilo. It is just a case of configuring Lilo to
offer Windows as an option on a menu offered at boot time. Take care in the
installation stage and Mandrake should do this for you. If not, let Linux
load - login as the root user and the settings for the Lilo bootloader are in
/etc/lilo.conf - you must run lilo from the command line after making
changes. (Try gedit or kedit as text editors - easier for ex-Windows users to
get to grips with than emacs or vi - leave those to a later date, you'll need
emacs or vi at some point but probably not quite yet..) Type man lilo.conf to
get help on configuring Lilo (unless you are able to connect to the internet,
perhaps via broadband or via another computer, in which case, use the google
link below.) Remember to logout of the root account once you've done with
configuration and login as a 'normal' user. (Mandrake and SuSE both strongly
recommend creation of a normal user account during installation, it really is
the single best bit of Linux advice you may ever receive. No installation
should ever be without at least one normal user apart from root and you
should login as the normal user everytime unless you specifically require
root for a task.)

Could anyone advise me before I make
the move about how this problem could be overcome? Booting from floppy?

That's always an option (for Windows as well as Linux) but all the
bootloaders are capable of offering both options (although some versions of
Windows are NOT happy - if you are running Windows 2k or XPPro with certain
filesystem options set, you could have problems. Email the list if you are
using either of these flavours of Windows - this would be just as likely to
affect SuSE as Mandrake, so it doesn't sound like a problem on your system.)

Also with Suse * KDE I have a nice Windows icon which is very useful, will
I still get this under Mandrake? If I do manage to change to Mandrake I

If you don't you can easily create it, right click in the desktop, select
Create new link to location and either enter or browse to /mnt/windows which
is where nearly all distributions (distros) will put your Windows partition.
Note that Windows is never as helpful in this manner, all Linux partitions
are stubbornly ignored by Windows. It's not that Windows can't, Microsoft
refuse to allow it.

will have a personal edition of Suse 8 if anyone is interested in it. I
have a copy of Suse 7.2 professional if anyone would like it. I live in
Exeter and they can have it if they can pick it up

I am interested in buying a copy of Mandrake 9 and also possibly Knoppixx,
what do I do and who do I send the cheque to.

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/

You can purchase online (credit card) and receive the boxed set in the post.
If you have broadband and a CD-writer, you can even download the entire
distro (3 CD's) completely and absolutely forever free of all charges. For a
new user, it may be advisable to pay for a boxed distro simply to get hold of
the excellent Mandrake printed manuals. (PCWorld now stocks Mandrake as well
as SuSE but they do tend to lag behind the latest release - I haven't seen
Mandrake9 in PCWorld yet, only 8.2)

Remember: you don't ever have to pay for anything in Linux, everything is
available for you to freely download, copy and install on as many systems as
possible for no fee. Once you have a distro (any distro), it can be installed
on one system or 21,000 systems - there are no licence restrictions. The
payments for boxed sets mainly go towards printing and packing costs.

Once you are happy that you can follow the installation instructions, you can
save yourself the download and just pay for the CD-R's themselves.
http://www.linux-emporium.co.uk
Here you pay just £5 or so for a CD AND you can opt for a CD of the latest
security upgrades and fixes. Again, once you receive the CD's, it makes no
odds how many times you install them. (Note that all Linux distributions come
in various flavours for PC, Mac, Alpha, SPARC and other hardware
architectures, make sure you select PC or something like i386, i586, i686.)

For all things Linux, use the specific Google search for Linux topics:
http://www.google.com/linux
Very good place to start with any kind of Linux query - there's not much that
hasn't already been asked.

You've already taken the best step by joining a Linux User Group (LUG) but
another idea is to also get a few Linux magazines - I subscribe to Linux
Format (available in CD and DVD version) and if you can get hold of the
Christmas edition, (LXF35), Mandrake9 is on the DVD completely free of charge
without the hassle of the download.

Knoppix has been covered in previous editions of LXF and doesn't need to be
paid for. (I'm not even sure it can be purchased, I think it is just
downloaded or installed from a free cover CD.) I don't think it comes with
any printed manuals but there is full information on the main website for
Knoppix:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/knoppix/

- --

Neil Williams