Re: [LUG] practical use of VNC, teleporting etc

Hi

We run VNC as a thin client service at supertramp, we currently run about 20 sessions on our IBM and users connect from either Terminals or PC's. The PC's are sometimes quite slow especially on lower power models. This system has proved very succesful so far and have had no problems with it.

As I understand it the original development team are going to be putting further work into VNC and are planning to develop the product further with the possible inclusion of a commercial version.

The great advantage of VNC is you can deploy 1 Server and connect everyone else in via an inexpensive dumb terminal. We use Axel Terminals at around £200 each, this means we can by the Terminal and a really nice Flat screen TFT for less than the price of an office PC. No moving parts in a Terminal so less problems.

Rick

Simon Waters wrote:

Adrian Midgley wrote:

Anyone doing it, and/or selling support for it in Devon?

You need to attend more South West LUG meetings!

Although there the support discussed was through a thin client
supplier, I don't know if Ylem will be offering it?

I'll add it to my list of things to become a guru in, although I
have X installed on the laptop, and just ssh to the server and
launch applications back, much more crude, but it works for me
;-)

This email has been virus checked by the Eclipse Internet MAILsafe service
www: http://www.eclipse.net.uk/ email: eclipse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ******************************************************************************

-- Regards and Best wishes

Rick Timmis
rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I.T Manager

Super Tramp Ltd:
Super Tramp run their IT systems exclusively on Red Hat Linux and Open Source
Software.
For further information on how free software can benefit your business visit
http://www.redhat.com