Re: [LUG] New to list

Adrian Midgley wrote:

but SuSE does a lot of SuSE things and I'm beginning to really
detest it.

I can see there are a lot of SuSE-specificities creeping in, and it is more
often irritating than not, but 7.2 is working really nicely in two places for
me, and 8.1 looks very tasty although I have not yet run it as a production
system.

Part of it is I do a lot of "fiddling" with computers, software
goes in, comes out, gets upgraded, gets built from source.

The SuSE way, with Yast putting it's fingers in different files
slows me down, and their mangling of PCMCIA and network
configuration was I'm sure well motivated, but it is almost
indecipherable (especially since I have to reorder key startup
scripts!). Maybe SuSE could document their scripts better,
explain what they have done, german is okay with me!

In a server environment where it doesn't change much it would
probably be okay.

Although for my backup server (which also has PCMCIA) was
running SuSE, but when I was forced to update the kernel I
reverted to Mandrake, and the upgrade paths were too painful.

So I guess my complaint is I need a lightweight Linux, I'd like
a flexible package manager that does more for me, but I don't
want a distro packager who gets in the way. Theo will probably
tell me to run Debian.

Anyway the Mandrake install should have finished by now, so I'm
a SuSE free zone, what no encrypted file systems in Mandrake,
but the choice of other file systems was pretty impressive.

Simon