[LUG] Worrying, really...

I was quite worried when I walked up to the Nationwide cash machine (next to
where the 2600 meetings start, I think) and was greeted with:

"Welcome to NT 4.0 (with Internet Explorer).  Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to
log on"

I was under the impression that they all ran some variant of UNIX, or at
least something reasonably secure?

And whilst I'm in a particularly anti-Microsoft mood, I found this quite
funny:  http://www.cuug.ab.ca/~leblancj/my_mojo/stinger.html  - Long live
Symbian!  (Even better, let's hope they make it reliable and foster easy
open-source development)

It's also quite worrying how narrow an experience young people have nowadays
(he says, rubbing his long beared and dreaming of days gone by).  I mentioned
in one of my Computing A-level classes the other day that one possible
problem with Visual Basic was that you could only compile your code for
Windows and hence only on an Intel-compatible platform.  The lecturer gave me
a bit of a blank look and then recognised that it may be a limitation in some
circumstances, but what took me aback was that a classmate leant over to me
and sniggered "But that doesn't really matter, does it, because Macs are crap
anyway"!

Looks like I'll have to take up the (seemingly unsurmountable) task of
showing some of these blinkered individuals that there *is* a world outside
Microsoft!

Cheers,

Jon