Re: [LUG] linux in schools - terminal ... man

Steve Marvell wrote:

OK, so I've just convinced the school I'm starting teaching Maths at
to "go opensource". I've also become sysadmin, which is kinda cool.

There is a seriously beefy server and a load of old pentiums, so I'm
thinking xdm sessions.

I seem to remember someone was a bit of a terminal server man round
here and I was wondering of there was a standard linux config for just
turning a box into an xdm client.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Steve

Check out the Linux Terminal Server Project

http://www.ltsp.org

could be a good place to start. Their kernels would be especially useful
if the terminals have little or no hard drives and the kernels can
remote boot. The LTSP comes with some configuration scripts which
configure the server including the xdm. The configuration scripts are
easily read if you prefer to do things by hand.

I use LTSP on a P100 terminal in runlevel 3 but I know it also supports
X and I have been able to run KDE apps on the server and displayed on
the terminal over a 10BaseT connection. The reason I am using runlevel 3
is because I am experimenting with kernel device drivers on the P100
terminal.

--
Andrew Rogers
http://www.rogerstech.co.uk