Re: [LUG] Going Debian

On Tuesday 06 August 2002 3:38 pm, Simon Waters wrote:
Okay having decided to try GNU GCC v3, I think I'd like to turn
my test box into a Debian box at the same time - sorry Mandrake
- apt has to be better than that broken GUI thing Mandrake ship.

wooooo ;)

Okay - network install - CD writer - oops that is on Windows at
the moment, but I'm sure I saw a Debian installer for that -
make bootable CD.

well, take a look at:

<http://debian-web.mirror.anlx.net/CD/jigdo-cd/>

and also:

<http://cdimage.debian.org/~costar/pseudo-image-kit/>

we run debian mirrors, which you may find fast in the UK if you use an ISP
that peers in all the sensible places:

http://debian.mirror.anlx.net/
http://debian-non-us.mirror.anlx.net/
http://debian-jigdo.mirror.anlx.net/
http://debian-web.mirror.anlx.net/

Is there a 3.0 Woody network install CD image?
 Everything I can find so far claims to be for "-pre".

i'm not sure there are any woody full release ISO's arround, as mirrors are
trying to persuade people to use jigdo for making images.  however, i've
never played with it, so have *no* idea how it works...

however, i know the psudeo image kit from the cd.debian.org for windows works,
i think i've used it once or twice.

Will these give me a working Linux system, in case I need to say
reconfigure the network connection and stuff before running the
network install proper?

yup, just a very basic one - and i mean *very* basic ;)

How creaky is unstable? Since I'm fed up of old packages....

i run unstable at home, though i'd never risk it on a server.  security.debian
always backport security fixes to main as soon as they are annouced, and
often take a few days longer to reach unstable.

for a home ox with kde3, you need unstable, see http://calc.cx/kde.txt for
more info on it.

i've only had one or two package wibbles in about 3 years of using unstable at
home, even then i just left it until the next mirror update (3am) and
updated, all worked fine.

~ Theo

- --

Theo Zourzouvillys
http://zozo.org.uk/

When angry, count four; when very angry, swear.