Re: [LUG] big list of cool software?

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 11:48:53AM +0000, Adrian Midgley wrote:

Idealist.

A free text fully indexed database originally from Blackwell.
Very good for random bits of text information, with the capacity to add
pictures and some scriptability, but basically just finds what you put in
there.

- Programming
(VB equiv?)
tcl and Python, but the development environments are not as easy to use as
VB.  Easier to get things sorted out when they don't work for obscure reasons
I think, but not so easy to do things of intermediate complexity (not simple,
not seriously hard) quickly.

I have a particular chap in mind who is not a programmer, but
generates his site from a business database and a VB program. He
creates static pages using his VB proggy.

I'm trying to get into his mind to find an alternative.

DB generated web sites are not an alternative to him.

viavoice
Anyone used viavoice on Linux?  I'm thinking of trying it out.

I hear it is very good, but requires a good years investment to get it
working perfectly. A chap I know uses surfers, a chat thingy. He can
just say "surfers say hello steve" and it does what he wants.

Steve