Re: Distro wars! (and madness) (was Re: [LUG] onsite installations)

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:

the grapevine told me redhat goign to be moving to apt in a few major-number
releases.

This may be pendalty, but i was under the impression that apt is not a
package system, but a front end for the dpkg package system.

rpm's are a nasty, evil, sadistic way of doing things, that works, and it
popular because redhat have done so well.  dpkg does a lot better job with
deps, conflicts, and pre-dependencies, things that rpm's doesn't support
*properly* iirc.

don't ask for any hard proof behind this statement except my rather bad
memory, i'm sure lots if people can give you the technical reasons, and i
could once again if i played with redhat, but it's been far to long since
i've touched redhat to even remember how it works, let alone build RPM's :p

Well in that case you may well find that its got better since you last
used it.

And anyway, I use solaris pkgadd on a regular basis :P

a dist needs to either be aimed *mainly* for the desktop (mandrake, suse, etc)
or for the a server (debian, umm, debian, debian, ok,ok, and a few others ;))
redhat are aiming for both, and imo, this is a big mistake.

As I said earlier its quite possible to customise any distro to suit the
application required.  It's not hard IM(not very)O to pull out the destop
stuff and make it server appropriate.

They are also very release orientated, keen to get out a release as quick as
possible, not really (by the way they are released) carign too much about
quality of it - something that you can't risk on a server, and they do admit
that managment imposed deadlines have caused havoc in certian releases.

Yes theres been the odd mistake but frankly on the whole I disagree.  As
with any distro you should keep updated.

Alex.

--
What goes "Pieces of seven! Pieces of seven!"?
A parroty error.