[LUG] Letter to Libraries regarding donation of software

I decided to write this for the benefit of anyone who wants to donate Linux / free software to their local library / community group or whatever..

Dear Sir or Madam

    I am a member of the xxx Linux user group,  Linux is software which is freely distributable under the General Public license which means unlike for example MS Windows / MS office etc,  you can copy the distribution cd's and even obtain the source code, and modify the software if you are inclined and or have the technical ability to help and want to be part of a fast growing world wide user base / development team.  By lending this software to users you are not in breach of copyright laws,  in fact the licence under which the software is released enclourages copying so more people can get access to the software.

Due to the speed of development I have recently upgraded my system and the previous version has become available, rather than throw this software away I would like others to benefit from Linux and what free software has to offer,  therefore I would like to donate these cdroms to the library for your cd lending section.

These cd's contain software, documentation and floppy disk images that are needed to install the software.  or

These cd's contain the evaluation editions of the various Linux distributions.

I would be grateful if you could let me know if you are interested in having this in your lending library,

The local group offer discussions mailing lists which are easy to subscribe to should any users want to learn more about linux before installing the software.

Thank you for your time.

Yours sincerely / faithfully.

Your name

This is only a rough draft,  Perhaps user group members can edit it and together we can come up with a standard letter for future use,  as the software does not have to be limited to libraries.

Paul

Lynx friendly