[LUG] Help required with Suse 7.3

I've just installed a second HD which is recognised by the bios.
I've tried to install Suse 7.3 to it 4 times, without success.
YaSt2 apparently recognises the presence of the HD and formats and
partitions it as dev/hdb.
The installation proceeds to the point of writing lilo either to a
floppy or the mbr. If it writes lilo to a floppy the result is the system hangs and I have to re-boot. At
time of re-booting the screen is filled with the number 1 followed by
a screen full of 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10......................s
If I then use the Suse recovery disk it reports that there is not a valid copy of Linux Suse 7.3 installed.
If I try to write lilo to the mbr YaSt2 reports it can not write lilo
to dev/hda/windows.
Any advice much appreciated. TIA

---