Re: [LUG] resolv.conf

Steve Marvell wrote:

Indeed. A good test is to do an nslookup...

nslookup is rarely a good test for anything!

Most nslookups will default to using the first name server in
resolv.conf, or duck out to 127.0.0.1. Although it tells you
what it does (assuming name resolution is working fairly well).

host may use resolv.conf as well to establish fully qualified
names, although host behaviour varies with version of BIND
utilities installed, and resolver in use.

My experience of Linux is that it is as easy to check
nsswitch.conf, hosts, and NIS seperately if you suspect spurious
name resolution data.

99.9% of name service problems I get involved in can be solved
with "ping", "traceroute", "more" and "dig" (although I tend to
use "doc" to save on typing).

nslookup is a dreadful tool for name resolution problems, not
least in that it's behaviour varies radically between platforms,
and releases.

Have a look at comp.protocol.dns.bind archives for various
diatribes and explanations as to why "nslookup" is such an
appalling diagnostic tool.

We dig, dig, dig, dig, dig, dig, dig, we dig the whole day
through ;)