RE: [LUG] openOffice

| > I heard good things about this from our Business school as
| well. Haven't
| > tried it myself.
|
| I've just been inspired to download it (for Linux though of
| course), so
| I'll have a fiddle with it and report back :)

I bought it on CD from the Linux Emporium when I got `Thread Linux' (two
pound fifty? what the hey)

The appeal to MS Office users is obvious, this is a clone - the best
looking clone that has ever been created.  If you know StarOffice 5.2,
you will find little to surprise you other than that it doesn`t do that
massive desktop thing with the picture of a lamp on it anymore.

The install is kids easy.  If you`re doing it from binary, remember the
-net flag or you will only be able to use it as root.  The overall look
is nicely polished.

At the risk of being flamed, here (and I have great respect for the work
of OpenOffice.org), I installed it, had a fiddle, and got shot of it
straight away.  Loads of features to play with but if you have spent x
amount of years in various offices where the only accepted medium of
documentation is MS Word you will probably want to get away from this
sort of thing.

Does it import Word/Excel etc.files?  Yes.  Any problems?  Not that I
spotted.
Can it `save as' Word/Excel etc. ?  Yes, again.

Your mileage may vary.