Re: bind sucks! (was: Re: [LUG] secure ftp?)

Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:

exactly :p that leaves a whole 8 months for someone to find something!  I'll
bet you £20 publicly that bind will have at least one exploit or major bug
before 1/1/03 ? ;)

I wouldn't bet on BIND8! I might be persuaded to back BIND9, in
particular a remote exploit of a chrooted, non-root BIND 9
daemon, not through the command channel (Which I think should
only listen on 127.0.0.1....).

prividing that is, we are told about it - last i heard, bind security stuff
was going to be discussed in a closed area where only members who pay and
sign a NDA would be allowed ot access, and only peopel who need to (liek the
isc, etc) would get access [1].  Though maybe i'm seeing only the bad side
because i hate bind ;)

The BIND members list is designed for those people building
products on top of BIND as well a people operating substantial
pieces of DNS infrastructure.

Non-members will still hear, just others will hear sooner.

Being free software it has a few derivative products, and with
full disclosure lists like BUGTRAQ, it can put people like
CheckPoint, in an uneviable position, of having a vulnerable
fork of the code (MetaIP - pants as it is), when the information
goes public.

Of course this assumes that full disclosure is made first to the
ISC ;)

I think this problem can affect all security sensitive sofware,
as libraries can be vulnerable - witness the zlib issue
(Although I believe zlib was principally a vuln on Linux only),
but where the source is available it is trivial for would-be
attackers to diff the sources to find the full source of the
patch.

I wonder what arrangement IBM Websphere has for this with
Apache?

There are things tinydns does not support, but never anyhting that i, or i
think any of you need ot support - nor the dns root servers for that matter.

I kind of want the root servers to run DNSSEC, although I agree
with DJB that it isn't the best thought out of systems, at the
moment there is too little to protect us from problems in the
DNS hierarchy (and you have little say in what those above you
in the DNS hierarchy run!).

--
"Don't get me started on intuitive. You know what's intuitive?
Fear of heights. Everything else we call intuitive, such as