[LUG] Lirc troubles....

Hi all,

After reading the semi-recent messages about Lirc I thought I'd have a go... unfortunately, things don't appear to be working.

I am trying to control xmms (1.2.7) with the control from my Hauppague WinTV PCI-FM card.
I have downloaded and compiled the latest version of Lirc and compiled and installed the kernel modules (running kernel 2.4.19-pre3 on SuSE 7.3).
I have copied the config file for the RC from the /usr/share/doc/packages/lirc/remotes/hauppauge/ directory to /etc/ and the .lircrc file from /usr/share/doc/packages/xmms/lirc-xmms/ to my home directory.

Now, most people would consider all that to be the hardest part, but not for me...

If I start xmms without the modules loaded and without lircd running and try to enable the IR plugin I get a "no such device" message as expected.

OK, so I start lircd as root since I can't get it to run as my normal user and load the correct kernel module (lirc_i2c).
When I start xmms as my normal user and attempt to enable the IR plugin I get a "/dev/lirc Device or resource busy" message.

Help, it's driving me mad!!!

Thanks, David.

--
A computer without Windows is like a chocolate cake without mustard.