Re: [LUG] Simian evolution on redhat 7.0?

On 05-Mar-2002 at 10:18:12 MATTHEW BROWNING wrote:
Just as a point of interest, I work for the University and I`ve a box
running RH7.2 on my desk.

It`s there because it automates solutions to some of the data
manipulation we have to do (heavy statistical content up here).

True, and there are others within departments of the Uni using linux, but not
here in the 'computing service' (as it was known, and I think still makes
more sense than 'information and learning resources'!). Considering we are
supposed to provide the central computing power for the Uni's staff and
students, I would have been nice to have seen a little...er...understanding
about computing around here? We used to have a few Macs here many years ago,
but that's all gone now, it's Microsoft windows and that's it. Yeurggh :-(
Most 'problems' are tried to be resolved using windows, its really only when
windows (or third-party products) cannot resolve the problem that, perhaps,
a Sun box will be considered (since we have some doing zip here). Admittedly
we have 2 linux web caches, but there were used a quick and cheap solutions
to our previous cache straining under the load. There is no support or
backup for them, and considering the change in JANET's charging policy they
will probably become redundant themselves at the end of the year.

I`m not allowed to do any networky stuff with it, which doesn`t
bother me too much.

I think that will only depend on what you want to do with it. Things like
using IRC are frowned upon, but other things will (probably) be considered.

John.

PS - As before my comments are my own. You never know who might be reading
this...:-)