Re: [LUG] furthering the revolution: ECDL

kevin bailey wrote:

we see postgres having a good future because it has had ACID compliance
built-in from the begining.

My understanding was that MySQL now provides sensible behaviour
via an alternative table type, but I do wonder how many people
understand the relevant differences in quality between
apparently competing database products.

When I did my review of Open Source databases PostgreSQL looked
good, the joker in the pack was SAPDB. Although most people only
ever implement SAP on Oracle, SAPDB looked promising.

I think Oracle's DB offering might implode by getting too big
and complex - but it is in my bad books today as an Oracle test
process died last night with ORA-07445 (Exception). Couldn't
decide if I was being slow and ignorant, till Oracle support
came back with....

"Umm it is either bug NNNNNN or we haven't seen it before. There
is a workaround to the bug NNNNNN, you disable a parameter
you've never heard off, which will reduce your resource
consumption and have no negative effect on performance in the
configuration you use Oracle in". I think we'll set that
parameter anyway then ;)

--
Open Source Software Day at Exeter University Saturday 27th
April 2002