[LUG] long login times

What would cause a text-only login to take more than 3 times longer for one
user compared to another? Logout is also delayed.

Logging in as root on the server takes 3 seconds.
Logging in as the usual user takes 13 seconds!!
Logging OUT as the usual user takes 10 seconds!?

(logging out of root is the same 3 seconds)

As this is the server, I do tend to log in as root in a hurry - to get
offline or fix a problem etc. - but I still want to be able to login as the
user. Where do I start looking? I haven't altered ~/.bash_profile for either
user.

Logging in as the other normal user takes 10 seconds, same as logging out.

Any clues?

--

Neil Williams