Re: [LUG] GCC compilation?

Aaron Trevena wrote:

More importantly most UNIX and Linux software is still written in C - Look
at GTK, GNOME, Linux, Apache, FreeBSD, Solaris - all Written in C.

Yes, but it is also one of the principal reason we get a
continuous stream of buffer overflow security problems. And I
dare say the frequency of GUI crashes I see on Linux are
probably down to not using more strict interfaces between
components.

I know it is possible to write solid C++, but it is also
possible to be good at firewalking, it doesn't stop accountancy
being a safer career choice.

Obviously languages are written to fit a purpose. C and C++ are
general purpose languages built for speed (Who was it who said
that "since the advent of C++, C is at most the third best
language for any application").

Many business IT requirements are not rocket science, they are
about managing data in an accurate and timely fashion, they
don't require much speed, they do require easy to use
interfaces, and corruption or unplanned downtime are
unacceptable.

Thus languages that make it easy to build good GUI's, provide
powerful database facilities, and are relatively strongly typed
to avoid sillies are used.

In this market you find Visual Basic, Java, PowerBuilder, Oracle
Developer, OpenRoad, MUMPS, Magic and similar languages and
environments dominate. Okay the meaty VB components are written
in C++ often, but to the average business developer these 3rd
party objects either "work" or get junked.

Proprietary languages are a technical dead end - eventually
support drops - or platforms aren't supported, leaving Java
standing out in this area.

Sure you can use Visual C++ to build a nice Windows GUI, with
some data bound controls, but your far more likely to trip over
stupid bugs that wouldn't even compile in Java.

I agree C++ is much more powerful than Java in many ways, but
programming languages are not just about the ability to express
yourself, you have to do it without making daft mistakes.

comp.risks is covering some nice discussions on liability issues
at the moment, a group in the US is lobbying to make software
companies more liable for defects in their software (Criminal
negligence was mentioned for buffer overflow issues). If you
were to be imprisoned for mistakes in your code, would you still
be so keen to program in C?

What was the last version of VB you used, as it has some really
nice features, I wouldn't use it for big projects as it is
proprietary, but a lot of people who rubbished it, rubbished it
at version 3, a bit like condemning Fortran because Fortran IV
was so naff.