Re: [LUG] Changed permissions of entire system

I very stupidly managed to do
chown user:[username] .* -R
earlier as root and managed to change the file permissions of most of my
system before i realised exactly what i had done.

Be careful as root. I know someone else that did something similar - didnt remember
".*" includes ". and .." as well!

I've had a similar problem on one system - copied a bunch of files to a new HDD and
nuked the old one. Unfortunatly everything was set for root ownership :(

Is there an easy way to put this right as i have Win4Lin etc installed and
to reinstall from scratch would take an age

Backups? Nah.

As far as I know, you up the creek without a paddle then, I'd be pleased to hear
otherwise.

--
Paul Weaver
p.j.weaver@xxxxxxxx

"The best way to accelerate a windows box is at 9.8 meters per second square."