Re: [LUG] Wanting to really put an effort to learn Linux properl

Am I right in thinking that Mandrake is an optimised Redhat?

I would not have said 'optimised'. As far as I remember Mandrake was
created basically as redhat linux with the KDE X window system as
the default user interface. It also had a simpler installation
procedure. In that respect it was easier for users/newbies to
install and go...:-)

Packages are compiled, as standard, for the i586 so the extent to
which it is 'optimised' depends on what computer you have really.
The benefit is notional really because one of the key benefits of
having stuff distributed as source is that you can 'optimise' it
yourself.  Clearly, the target of the perceived benefit is those who
are not comfortable with GCC  (everyone!)

MB