Re: [LUG] hi there!!!

John Horne wrote:

> As such you won't even be able to
> fiddle ipchains to try and determine your IP address when starting. You may
> need to connect to the ISP, get the IP address, put that into ipchains and
> then restart it. Messy, probably automatable, but again it may well work :-)

You can specify rules based on interface, but since Demon
allocate static IP addresses I've never done this in anger.

Block everything, and then allowing in the stuff from the
Internet. If people are allowed to do things from the Internet,
it is usually safe to let local IP addresses do the same thing!

Then allow the other things using only the local static IP
addresses, and make sure that any packets arriving on the ppp0
interface with source addresses that ought to be inside are
blocked (Although I think Linux does some antispoofing by
default lets not rely on it).