Re: [LUG] fileserving..

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Howard Coakley wrote:

> Q: As these will mainly be win32 mirrors, is it sensible to make 4 separate
> _fat_ partitions on my linux box - instead of ext2 partitions for each user.

I think there is no benefit from doing this, as fat filesystems don't have
the capabilites to handle a multi user system (like linux, or NT) in any
sensbile way.  Fat filesystems don't have any concept of a user owning a
file.  This is why NTFS exists for Windows multi user systems.

And (very much imho), fat is a terrible filesystem anyway.  I'd much
rather keep data I was worried about on ext2 or ufs.  As an aside recent
kernels seem to have a free VxFS implementaion in them (VxFS is the vary
expensive veritas filesystem).

> Q2: If ext2 is a better or safer option, will this file system complicate my
> intended folder mirroring or any subsequent auto-backup proces I might
> choose for these win98 boxes?

Shouldn't do.

> Any other pointers?

When editing windows login scripts, edit them on a windows box.  Unless
you're fairly careful about doing it under linux the windows boxes will
fail to run the scripts correctly.  That one took me ages to work out when
I did it.

Alex.