[LUG] FWD: Day of action against the new corrupted CDs

I thought some people may be interested in this message which was sent to
all the UK LUG organisers...

David Johnson.

------------------------

The next time you buy a CD, remember to ask:

   Will this CD really play on my equipment?

Why? Because the record manufacturers are secretly introducing new
modified CDs into the shops. Some of these corrupt CDs won't play on
computers, PS2 and DVD machines, and others have lower quality sound
and won't last as long as normal CDs. Of the CDs that will play on
computers, they will only play on Microsoft operating systems, and
using Microsoft's Media Player software - users of minority operating
systems like Linux will be deliberately excluded, as will
non-Microsoft music playing software.

The new CDs might play fine to start with, but underneath, the sounds
have been subtly corrupted. After a few scratches, you'll have tracks
going wrong much sooner than with normal CDs. In truth, these new
corrupt CDs are not as good as normal CDs.

The full story on the corrupt CDs is at:
   <http://uk.eurorights.org/issues/cd/>.

** CAMPAIGN FOR DIGITAL RIGHTS, UK ACTION DAY, SATURDAY 6th October **

The Campaign for Digital Rights is holding a Day of Action against the
new CDs this Saturday. We will be distributing leaflets outside record
shops thoughout the UK, warning potential customers of the danger the
new CDs pose.

You are welcome to join in!

If, like us, you don't want to be ripped off with shoddy, sub-standard
CDs, you can be part of our Day of Action. For details of how to
volunteer, see <http://uazu.net/cd/volunteers.html>.

For general information on the Campaign for Digital Rights, see our
website at <http://uk.eurorights.org/>.

--
*** Philip Hunt *** philh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ***

Lynx friendly