Re: [LUG] Windows animosity.

Neil Stone wrote:

> > all American munitions run ibm (cruise missiles run on embeded os2)
>
> Could you imagine if a nuke GPF'd on its way down

Hmmm, a lot of military systems just learn to cope with failure.
At least one story (probably apocryphal) of a helicopter system
that was crashing many times a second, but appropriate crash
recovery meant that no one noticed this during early test
flights.

Some nukes detonate on impact which is a nice old fashioned way
of setting off bombs, although not terribly appropriate for most
nuclear weapons. Most of the weapons systems I've seen reference
to have little resembling general purpose operating systems on
them.

The assertion that all American munitions run IBM, or that
Cruise missiles run OS2 looks very suspect to me - can we have a
reference. As does the previous assertion that the US Navy have
abandoned Windows NT for critical function (Much as this worries
me). The only computer malfunction on US Navy systems on NT I've
heard of was the USS Yorktown (See comp.risks for discussion),
whilst this failure was serious, it wasn't as serious as
portrayed, still I would not like to rely on Windows NT
navigating me out of a battlefield situation.

Raytheon seem to own most of the fancy stuff. Cruise Missiles
existed before OS/2. And Patriots use to use VAX stuff (But I
think that's been replaced).

The stories I read before seemed to suggest the VAX was strapped
to the explosives, but looking at the Internet sites it seems
the VAX stayed firmly on the ground.... Pity, the idea of
blowing VAXes up like glorified fireworks always appealed to me.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768