[LUG] LinuxExpo Day 1

I for one found day one of LinuxExpo a tad disappointing.

Still all clouds have a silver lining, and I bumped into
various Devon and Cornwall LUG members. Although it may have
been quicker not to go to London for this.

A few highlights from day one did catch my attention.....

Fortress firewall, a packet filtering firewall, using
IPTables. Whilst nothing unusual about that, they had
organised to have per port bandwidth limiting (Apparently it
is in iproute2 somewhere), and had some PC's crammed with
LOTS of 4 port Ethernet cards.... Okay it doesn't fit my
idea of a firewall for the corporate LAN - but I can imagine
some ISPs liking this kind of device. Did not pick their
brains on performance of the box, but filed the business
card for future use.

IBM has a rather dull exhibit - but a wonderful video of a
wristwatch running Linux and X Windows... The IBM Research
logo was very prominent, so It may be a while before this
one hits Dixons.

Kyzo an embedded Linux vendor gave me a CD with their
distros to try. They were into the software aspects of
embedding, apparently on the hardware side it is really
easy, just plug a compact flash into your IDE port (Amongst
other solutions). Will have a play and let you know how I
get on.

Debian had a busy stand, and were flogging CD's (and
t-shirts) like hot potatoes *8-)

Lot of talk about clustering. I'd still be a tad wary of
using PC hardware for high availability clustering but
clearly it is beginning to happen. Call me conservative, but
hey your suppose to be conservative when building highly
available systems.

The High Availability talk by Denver was a bit basic for my
tastes, and spent a long time explaining what a "cluster"
was, and very little explaining what "High Availability"
means (Questions like "how do I upgrade without downtime"
never got reached). When quizzed at the end, the guy clearly
knew his stuff, so maybe it was my expectations.

It was hot, and Olympia doesn't have (or it wasn't working)
air con, nor does the underground, if George Bush is junking
Kyoto we need to start spending money to cope - first we
need air-con to keep cool, and then we'll need heaters for
when the Artic melts completely (It's already shrunk
enormously) and the gulf stream breaks down.

The Expo registration seems to have gone to pot. Getting
home I found an e-mail to "Mr Osbourne"<sic> saying "We hope
you can attend LinuxExpo", which was sent 2 hours after I
got there and found my registration details weren't on the
computer, despite having a print out showing them!? But then
the registration webserver, and the e-mail server for
LinuxExpo both appear to be running Microsoft operating
systems......

	Simon
--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ?
www.eighth-layer.com