Re: [LUG] oss_policy_version2

kong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello list,

two things:

The revised Govt policy regarding OSS is interesting:
http://www.govtalk.gov.uk/documents/oss_policy_version2.pdf
especially "UK government will seek to avoid lock-in to proprietary products and
services" - that's a big oops then.

and I have a question. Having a computer containing a replaced-under-guarantee blank 80G SATA drive, I would like to partition and dual boot the machine for a nice "desktoppy" flavour of Linux and Windows XP pro. Any advice/suggestions?

If it's your very first attempt at installing GNU/Linux.Mandrake 10/10.1 is probably your best bet.

It is very important to install XP first,as this will destroy everything in its wake.Then run XPs chkdsk,and defragment the drive.

Boot from Mandrake's installation disc 1.The 100% graphical installation routine will guide you through repartitioning your drive.Essentially,Mandrake will resize your XP and make space for itself.
Since the only OSs on your drive will be XP and Mandrake,write the bootloader to the MBR.

Expect to spend *a while* setting up the graphical display during installation.

Sadie