Re: [LUG] poorly Debian box

On Saturday 23 October 2004 22:40, Neil Williams wrote:
On Saturday 23 October 2004 10:06 pm, Adrian Midgley wrote:
THis was all going wonderfully, when it decided to (apt-get) upgrade
glibc

That should have been:
# apt-get install glibc
apt-get upgrade glibc just runs a normal update (of all packages).
That is what it was doing...

Thereagain, you already had glibc so I'm not sure what you were trying to
achieve.

Failed during the process

what was the error?
Ceased to go.  Hard hang.

I had a guddle around with a copy of Knoppix and tried moving the various
libraries to where they said they should live

??? Why?
Because it failed while updating the libraries, and continued to fail.
No wonder if you start moving libraries to Knoppix locations.
Debian locations, as read from the package.

Have you kept any notes about where they should be moved back to?
Same place.

See if apt-cache is working.
$ apt-cache search gnucash

Look for problems in
/var/cache/apt/
Looks healthy.  it included the new version of glibc as demanded by something
that had been updated.

I suspect the hardware is not fully compatible.
--
Adrian Midgley                   Open Source software is better
GP, Exeter                       http://www.defoam.net/